The Indie Game Website – the web’s leading specialist indie game outlet – is seeking a part-time Editor-in-Chief to lead its content operations and drive the editorial vision of the site.
We’re looking for someone who lives and breathes games editorial, and who has a passion for the indie game scene. You will have experience both writing about games and supervising other writers. The ideal candidate will have experience as a lead editor for a games website (whether hobbyist or professional), or significant freelance experience in the field. This would be a great opportunity for someone with experience running a site for fun, who is looking to take that experience to the professional level; or a full-time freelancer looking to pick up some consistent extra work on a project that affords them more freedom and flexibility than their day-to-day content responsibilities.
Our mission is to bring the joy of indie games to the wider gaming masses. If this sounds like a vision you can get on-board with, we’d love to hear from you.
The Editor-in-Chief will:
– Take responsibility for devising and delivering editorial strategy for The Indie Game Website
– Work with the site’s publishers to set and build toward meaningful editorial targets
– Supervise and develop the skills of a team of freelance editors
– Work with our freelance editors to craft content plans that target meaningful readership growth
– Track and analyse site data to facilitate informed editorial decision-making
– Contribute to the marketing of website content, including maintaining the site’s social media and community presence
– Manage, maintain and develop editorial processes
– Write several articles per week for the website
This is a part-time, freelance, remote role, expected to involve approximately 10 hours of work per week. We are ideally looking for someone based in the UK, although candidates outside the UK who can be available during UK working hours will be considered. Fee of £300-450pcm depending on experience and our shared vision for the role.
How to Apply
Email email@example.com with the subject line The Indie Game Website Editor Application. Make sure it’s exactly that: we’ll use gmail filtering to collate your applications, and if you write anything else in the subject line, your application is likely to get lost.
Include in your application:
– Some brief info about yourself: who are you, where are you based, what do you do?
– Details of relevant experience: who have you written/edited for, what did you do there?
– A couple of relevant writing samples
– A brief description of one change you would like to see made on The Indie Game Website
– Confirmation that you would be available for approx 10 hours per week, with at least some of this time falling within UK working hours
Applications theoretically close on Friday 19th July but we reserve the right to select a candidate before then if the right opportunity comes along. Please note that, due to the volume of applications we expect to receive, we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.