We’re looking for a new editor
The Indie Game Website is the leading dedicated indie games website on the web. Do you think that sentence has too many webs in it? Then why not apply to be our new Editor?
We’re looking for someone to lead the charge as The Indie Game Website seeks to become the definitive authority on independent video games. From content direction, to commissioning, to writing about the best and most fascinating games on the market, this is a diverse role that combines strategic planning, coaching, and hands-on writing and copy editing.
This is a part-time freelance role of 15 hours per week, with exact working patterns to be agreed with the chosen candidate. As such, this would be the perfect role for someone with experience running their own website who is looking to take a step into the professional games media, or an experienced freelance journalist ready to earn their editing stripes alongside other commitments. We can be flexible in order to allow you to fit this role around your other work.
- Work with the site’s publisher to define and hone the editorial content strategy
- Work with individual freelance writers to help them refine their copy and produce exemplary journalism and criticism
- Seek and assess freelance pitches and assign content to freelance contributors, working within an agreed editorial budget
- Manage the site’s editorial schedule to ensure a steady flow of content
- Ensure all content is of the highest quality: brilliantly written, fact-checked, and with attractive images
- Run the website’s social media feeds
- Utilise Google Analytics and social analytics tools to identify trends and develop content plans to boost traffic and on-site engagement
- Write regular content for the site – from features, to previews and reviews, to news about the most exciting happenings in indie games
Essential Skills & Experience
- Demonstrably excellent written English, with the ability to produce accurate and characterful copy
- A deep and up-to-date knowledge of the video games scene, particularly indie games
- Experience running a website (professional or hobbyist) OR experience working for professional publications (on-staff or freelance)
- The ability to work with other writers to help them improve their work – via tailored feedback, coaching, copy editing etc
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Experience managing small teams
- Experience as a professional editor, section editor or associate editor
- Experience commissioning work from freelancers
- Experience managing budgets
£800 per month.
How To Apply
Please email email@example.com with the subject line The Indie Game Website Editor. Emails with any other subject line will be lost to the Gmail void.
Your email should contain:
- A few paragraphs about you, your experience, and how you meet the essential and any desirable skills and experience listed above
- Links to or attachments of three relevant original writing samples
Applications will close on 13th December 2019, although we reserve the right to close early if we have sufficient high-quality applications. Due to the volume of applicants we expect to receive, we can unfortunately only promise a reply to shortlisted candidates.