Attrition: Tactical Fronts is out now on Steam
Cardboard Keep’s third title packs a fast paced strategy war experience with a multiplayer option.
Australian indie developers at Cardboard Keep announced today the release for Windows, Mac and Linux of their third title, Attrition: Tactical Fronts, a reduced turned based war game designed to allow players to battle against an AI or challenge their friends to a fast paced match of strategy and tactics.
Attrition looks in a lot of ways like the battle aspect of the late titles from the Civilization franchise, in that it relies on hexagon shaped tiles inside a map filled with forests, rivers and other natural elements while players place and move their troops evaluating different result scenarios of attacking their opponents’ units.
Attrition is the third game released by this independent studio based in the Australian city of Canberra, after Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth and Puzzle Puppers.
Attrition features a not too sophisticated 3D graphics engine, similar to many mobile games available right now, but it does pack what seems to be an enjoyable, competitive and strategy-based experience suited for war and tactics lovers.
As the latest press release from Cardboard Keep states, Attrition: Tactical Fronts features:
- Quick-fire, hex-based, turn-by-turn gameplay, like a digital board game but with endless unit and board combinations.
- 17 mission single-player campaign with hand crafted maps, perfectly paced for players to learn unit and terrain types and combinations before offering more challenging scenarios that will prep players for face offs against human opponents in online multiplayer.
- Integrated Map Editor for uploading levels to Steam Workshop, plus the option to procedurally generate skirmish maps on demand.
- Both handmade and procedural maps are playable versus AI or in multiplayer – ideal for gamers who prefer to play against human opponents, or for players who prefer to take on other people’s maps against the formidable AI.
- 11 unique World War themed unit types and 15 terrain types with a range of distinctive gameplay modifiers, including modelling of suppression, deployment constraints, elevation and more.
Attrition: Tactical Fronts can be purchased right now through its Steam page or Itch.io for €14.99/£10.99/$14.99. The game is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.