This co-op survival RPG puts 30 players together in a haunted and dangerous forest.
Headup Games and Big Moustache Games announced today their cooperation on Grimmwood, a challenging social multiplayer RPG experience, mixing elements of survival, roguelike and exploration games put together in a community-driven cooperative game. Grimmwood is available now for Open Beta players to try for free through Steam.
In Grimmwood players will team up with up to 30 other players to defend an ancient village now occupied with common folk who escaped from a devastating war and took shelter in a mysterious forest filled with unknown forces that will try to break their will to survive. Each member of the team will have unique perks, stats, strengths and weaknesses to have in mind in order to manage their roles in an effective way.
Each night hordes of monsters will attack the survivors’ shelter and try to overrun their hopes of remaining alive. Gathering resources, weapons and useful items during the day in a procedurally generated forest, players will try to defend their lives.
The artstyle chosen by Big Moustache Games for Grimmwood is worth mentioning as it consists of hand drawn landscapes and cinematics, which can be appreciated in the trailer above.
As Grimmwood’s latest press release states, the game will feature the following:
• Against all Odds: Survive by turning a bunch of strangers into a sworn fellowship.
• Every Game is a new Journey: Huge, procedurally generated hex grid forest map to explore – 600 tiles in size!
• Choose your Path wisely: Every action costs stamina points of which you have only a limited number each day.
• Continuous Asynchronous Multiplayer: Log in at any time during the real-time 24-hour day cycle to gear up with your fellow villagers and fortify the defenses or venture into the wild together.
• Keep your Body and Soul in check: Sanity and condition systems which will directly and indirectly affect your efficiency and playstyle.
• Strong Emphasis on Social Interaction: In-game Chat and Forum, where all key decisions are put up for discussion.
• Permadeath, Roguelike Elements: Everything you bring with you to the next Village is your knowledge and your ingenuity.
• Play by the Rules – or don’t: Vote to expel the Villagers who don’t contribute to the Village survival or simply try to ruin everybody’s experience.
Grimmwood is now available in its Open Beta form for free through Steam until mid July.
Our boy from Buenos Aires, Juan has been a gamer for as long as he can remember (and possibly even longer than that). He loves a good story, and believes every indie game has a compelling one to tell.