A true pen-and-paper inspired role-playing game to look forward to.
Munich based indie studio Ceres Games announced today that they’ve successfuly funded their new pen-and-paper inspired role-playing game Realms Beyond: Ashes Of The Fallen through Kickstarter, having raised more than USD $118,000 from the original goal of $112,464. The game is set to be released during the start of 2020.
Realms Beyond counts with the rules described in the (3.5e) Revised System Reference Document (SRD) covered by the Open Game License v1.0a (OGL) by Wizards of the Coast, Inc., which tells us by itself that this will be a true old-school party-based RPG, the likes of classics like Diablo, Baldur’s Gate and many more gaming gems.
Just going through Realms Beyond’s Kickstarter page one can realize that Ceres Games has invested a serious amount of time and effort into building a massive world, rich with deep lore and engaging storylines. The game’s universe orbits around a Cataclysm that consumed the land half a century ago, now rebuilding itself throughout its many continents and settlements, with overthrown kings and rulers replaced by new leaders with their own agendas and motivations.
“It is a world ripe with adventure – old ruins offer undiscovered treasures, and rulers eager to return law and order to their realms offer rich rewards to those who are willing to brave the dangers of the wilderness. And it is a world of opportunity for those who wish to leave their mark on it.”, reads part of the game’s description on Kickstarter.
With detailed maps, a bursting lore and a true role-playing potential to engage players through countless hours of exploration, interaction and combat, Realms Beyond promises to be a huge game to consider in the near future. An 8 minutes long gameplay video also adds hype to what could be a true hit by Ceres Games.
As listed by Ceres Games, the game’s main features are as follow:
- A complex turn-based combat system featuring hundreds of spells, feats and actions, based on the rules described in the (3.5e) Revised System Reference Document (SRD) covered by the Open Game License v1.0a (OGL) by Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
- Custom-built, isometric graphics engine that combines zoomable 2D and 3D technology to bring never-before-seen levels of detail to life in massive, hand-crafted levels
- A bustling open world spanning entire continents, replete with believable NPCs, complex cultures, factions, societies and a fascinating centuries-long history
- Create a party of up to six characters where you can choose from 7 different races and 8 different classes and completely customize their appearance, equipment, feats, and skills
- More than one hundred spells, each with unique, stunning visual effects
- Over a thousand individual items to use and interact with
- An epic background story, massive quests, uncounted missions, hordes of monsters and a world that is steeped in lore and mystery
- Create your own adventures, campaigns or even entire worlds using the powerful RPG Engine of Realms Beyond
Our boy from Buenos Aires, Juan has been a gamer for as long as he can remember (and possibly even longer than that). He loves a good story, and believes every indie game has a compelling one to tell.