Walthall Sutidios aims to raise more than USD $47,000 to cast stellar voice actors.
Florida based indie developers at Walthall Studios have announced today that their upcoming ninja cyberpunk RPG platformer Midnight Wave is now on Kickstarter, aiming to raise around USD $47,500 in order to provide it with full development resources.
“Midnight Wave was born from what-ifs,” comments lead developer Andrew Walthall. “What if we mashed up gameplay from classics like Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros.? What if we added in narrative choices from games like Mass Effect? We took those what-ifs and ran with them, and now we’re creating an RPG like no other! Midnight Wave is easily the most ambitious project any of us have worked on.”
Those what-ifs are typical questions for any science fiction story, and Midnight Wave is exactly that. As the game’s latest press release states, these are the main features of Midnight Wave:
- Innovative Combat: Plan your attacks on the tactical map, then battle them out in a platform fighter duel! No more RNG percentages – you control the action!
- Old School Aesthetic: We’ve got pixel art vibes that’ll make you drown in nostalgia!
- Narrative Choice: The story is yours – say what you want, do what you want, and make difficult choices that shape the world!
- A World Alive: Everything is fleshed out! Learn more about diverse characters while exploring different facets of Neo-Nihon. Make or break relationships through dialogue choices, and witness the characters react to your actions based on their own motivations.
- Customization: Customize all of your characters! Not just their equipment, but their appearance, class, and skills too! Unlike other games, in Midnight Wave tactical sprites, portraits, and platform fighter sprites all change appearance accordingly!
- Elemental Combat: Wreak havoc on the battlefield with the elements! Freeze your enemies, burn them alive, or blow them away! Manipulate the environment to your advantage!
Walthall Studios has also informed that the majority of the funds raised by its Kickstarter campaign will be directed towards hiring a stellar cast of voice actors including credits from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Street Fighter, NieR, Dragon Ball, Persona and My Hero Academia.
Mega corporations, a neon-covered city, a not so distant future and ninjas are mixed up in this new cyberpunk title based in a future version of a city inspired by Japan, where main protagonist Yu, joined by his two best friends Nobu and Mitsu head a revolt aiming to change their reality and tackle the corporate-based status quo.
Midnight Wave’s Kickstarter campaign will last until November 22nd, with an estimated release date of December 2019.
Our boy from Buenos Aires, Juan has been a gamer for as long as he can remember (and possibly even longer than that). He loves a good story, and believes every indie game has a compelling one to tell.